Friday, October 14, 2016

El Ciudadano Ilustre (The Distinguished Citizen) (2016)

This was my favorite film that I saw at the Venice Film Festival. It was also the last film, ending well after midnight. It is about a famous author, a Nobel laureate, who is invited to return to his small hometown (village) in rural Argentina. It is a forgotten town that he never returned to after leaving. But he gained fame off of writing about the people in the town in his novels. Now he returns to face them, though he didn't realize how hilariously problematic this would be. It is basically one of those situations where everything that can go wrong does. I laughed a lot during this movie. The audience maybe wasn't up for it at midnight, cause it got a rather tepid reception, but it was exactly the kind of movie I wanted at the end of a 4-movie day. Oscar Martinez gives a great performance as the superior being just sick and tired of everyone. The film looks hyper real. I'm not really sure why, but it's a little strange. Maybe it's the way it was shot. I don't really know, but I looked past it and just enjoyed the funny screenplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment